Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thursday Thoughts || Book Tastes

Hello, hello! Welcome to yet another Thursday Thoughts! This is an original, interactive, weekly meme here on my blog. Everyone with an opinion is invited to make a post, link up and join the conversation! This week's topic of conversation is sure to be super fun for all of us because who doesn't like to talk all about themselves? I know I do. Haha. This week's theme is "Book Tastes." We'll be discussing our own unique tastes when it comes to genres and how our tastes have changed over time! Are you excited? I'm super excited. Woo!

Book tastes, much like food tastes, change over time. It's an inevitable change that occurs as we grow and as our feelings and views change as well. That being said, there are some things that simply never change. Those, at least in my opinion, are the true favorite things. For example, I've ALWAYS loved books with darker themes. When I was younger I loved The Series of Unfortunate Events. Now that I'm older, I still like darker books. AND, I'm actually re-reading The Bad Beginning for the BookTube-A-Thon next week! (Click HERE for more information on the BookTube-A-Thon) I also want to quickly point out that I-- like I've said MANY times before-- haven't always been the biggest reader. When I was younger I did love reading and I definitely had my go-to books. However, that's not to say that I've always read a lot, per say.

The first question on the prompt for this week is about whether or not you have a genre that is probably know as "your genre." My answer for this? Definitely. At least in my own imagination. I don't know if other people agree with this. I definitely have two specific genres that I am ALWAYS attracted to. The first one is a bit hard to classify, so I'm just going to call it "Paranormal." I don't know if that's really what it is, but it's something along those lines. Like I mentioned in the above paragraph, I have always loved books with darker themes. Some of my very, very favorite books in this genre that I think everyone probably knows I love are Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs), Hexed (Michelle Krys) and The Archived (Victoria Schwab). The other "genre" that I really adore isn't necessarily a genre. Although... I'm going to consider it one for the purposes of this post. And, that is fairy tale re-tellings! GAH! I think we all know by now that I can't turn down a fairy tale re-telling. Some of my favorite books in that genre would be The Lunar Chronicles (Marissa Meyer) and the Fables series (Bill Willingham).

As far as my book tastes changing goes, I'm not quite sure where to start. I don't know if they've changed all that much, but I'm sure they have. The main thing I can think of is that I definitely liked contemporary type books more when I was younger. In middle school, I would probably gravitate more towards contemporary and dystopian. Actually, now that I think about it, I've been really not into dystopian books as much as of recently. So, those are basically the only genres I can think of that I once liked and don't as much anymore. As for why? I'm not quite sure, to be honest. What about you guys?! What's your go-to genre? Let me know in the comments. I would love to hear about your book tastes and how they've changed over time. And, don't forget to join us next week when we discuss "Spoilers!" A very controversial topic! Don't miss it. Thanks for stopping by!



5 comments:

  1. My tastes definitely go through phases but my go-to genres would be fantasy, paranormal and then steampunk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairytale retellings! I got hooked into those by Robin McKinley, have you read any of hers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairytale retellings are really popular at the minute, I really enjoy them. I did have a huge phase of my go-to genre being dystopian, but lately I have been reading more contemporary fiction. I have started some fantasy recently and I am enjoying that. Here's my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am LOVING Retellings too! So good. I think my reading preferences have changed some, I have started reading more contemporary books than I have in the past several years.
    Great post and topic! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so perfect for my feelings on book tastes right now. I've pretty much decided I'm done with dystopian for a while just because it's all starting to sound the same to me, and I'm sure they're good books that I'm reading, I think I'm just way too tired of the genre.

    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love hearing what you have to say!